Monday, June 9, 2014

A Job and a Humbling Experience

Lisa has a job!! Mark Pearl, principal of Burnett Creek Elementary, called her at noon today and offered her that 4th grade position she had interviewed for last Friday. And she's already been out to school, met with her 4th grade team, and had a chance to look through her new classroom.

I am so happy for her. Such a relief, in so many ways. And definitely an answer to prayers.

I've been thinking a lot about how long her wait was, and how hard it was, not just for her, but for Craig and me, Linda Fields, Allyson Anthrop, and all those who knew she was a great teacher and were pulling for her. (Needless to say, a lot of folks are celebrating Lisa's good news tonight!)

I've also been thinking about the experience I had praying for her this time. I was desperate. I had hit bottom. I knew the Lord had a plan for her, I knew she would get a classroom eventually, I just didn't know when that would happen for her. And having seen her interview and be disappointed a couple of times, I did not want her to endure that one more time.

So, as I wrote before, I prayed hard. All day. On my knees (no small feat on those artificial joints!) I cried. I prayed aloud and I prayed in silence. But what I didn't write about earlier is that I also tried to "bargain" with the Lord by offering to do or sacrifice something.

I began by saying that I would do better at fasting, something that is REALLY hard for me. But then I realized that that wasn't something I could offer to the Lord as a sacrifice - I was supposed to be doing it anyway, so it was off the table as an "If You... then I'll..." offering.

I began thinking of other sacrifices I could make or do, or things I could give up in order that Lisa be blessed. But everything that I thought of was something I already should be doing anyway. I thought and thought and thought. But I came up with nothing I could do or sacrifice on behalf of Lisa and my plea that she get a teaching position.

And then it hit me - of course! No matter what I do, the Lord has always done more for me than I can do for Him. And while He accepts and appreciates my offerings, still He is greater than I, after all I can do.

King Benjamin explains that in the Book of Mormon.


Mosiah 2: 20-21, 24
20 I say unto you, my brethren, that if you should render all the thanks and praise which your whole soul has power to possess, to that God who has created you, and has kept and preserved you, and has caused that ye should rejoice, and has granted that ye should live in peace one with another—
 21 I say unto you that if ye should serve him who has created you from the beginning, and is preserving you from day to day, by lending you breath, that ye may live and move and do according to your own will, and even supporting you from one moment to another—I say, if ye should serve him with all your whole souls yet ye would be unprofitable servants.
24 And secondly, he doth require that ye should do as he hath commanded you; for which if ye do, he doth immediately bless you; and therefore he hath paid you. And ye are still indebted unto him, and are, and will be, forever and ever; therefore, of what have ye to boast?


Friday I had done all I could do, there was nothing left but to pray. Fervently and with all my heart. And what a lesson I learned.

No comments: